December 2019

first_imgNat Coombs was in for Max Rushden in The Warm Up’s first Sunday edition of 2016 and he was joined by Barry Glendenning.They take a light-hearted look at Saturday’s Premier League action, discuss the PDC and BDO darts championships and much more.Former Newcastle defender John Anderson was the phone guest for the ‘footballers are nice feature’.last_img

first_imgEverton manager Roberto Martinez believes that Ross Barkley deserves as much – if not more – praise than Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli.The Toffees and Spurs drew 1-1 at Goodison Park on Sunday afternoon, with Alli grabbing the headlines for his superb equaliser, but Martinez wants further recognition for Barkley’s ‘incredible’ development over the past three seasons.“I thought Ross Barkley was immense,” said the Spanish coach.“I know Dele Alli’s a young man, he’s grabbing headlines, he’s doing well, and rightly so.“But in Ross we’ve seen an incredible evolution over the last three season; from a player with an incredible talent, with technical ability and power and pace, to becoming a thinker.“He’s someone that can do the defensive work, like he did in the first half today, then becoming an incredible threat on the counter in the second, finding space, always wanting the ball.“He’s such a brave man to take the ball into any situation, and then having that quality and eye to find an assist and a goal.“I thought his performance today was of an incredible maturity.”last_img read more

first_imgOn Sunday, a deputy checking a resident’s complaint about an abandoned car with a foul odor in the 4400 block of Paramount Boulevard made a grisly discovery in the trunk – Vasquez’s body. He’d been shot in the head. Coroner’s officials ruled the death a homicide. How long the body was in the trunk hadn’t been determined yet, according to coroner’s spokesman Capt. Ed Winter. His ex-wife said she and Vasquez have three daughters. He grew up in the Pico Rivera area and had two siblings, she said. She last saw him when he visited his children, ages 14, 12 and 8. That was four weeks before he was found dead. To celebrate his youngest child’s birthday, she said Vasquez took his children to Knott’s Berry Farm on Sept. 23. “He was a kind-hearted person,” she said. “He was funny. He liked to joke around and laugh. He liked to go out and have a good time.” His family wants the mystery of his death solved. “I’m still looking for answers on how it happened. If anybody knows anything, just come forward,” she said. “He had a loving family. He had a lot of people who loved him.” Sica declined to discuss details of the case such as when Vasquez’s cell phone died. Vasquez recently served time in state prison for one count of possession of ammunition by an ex-felon, two counts of possession of a controlled substance and one count of bringing alcoholic beverages or drugs into prison or jail, according to California Department of Corrections records. He was paroled to Los Angeles County on April 21. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call detectives Gary Sica or Todd Anderson at the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. ruby.gonzales@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“Anyone with information on the case, we’d love to talk to them,” said Detective Gary Sica of the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau. No motive or suspects are known so far, he said. Vasquez’s ex-wife said he borrowed his mother’s car Oct. 3 but didn’t say where he was going. It was rare for him to disappear, she said. “He always called his mom (to) say, `Mom, I’m OK.’ ” But he didn’t this time. She said calls to his cell phone went to voice mail instead. Then his phone was turned off. PICO RIVERA – A missing parolee whose body turned up in a locked car trunk was trying to get his life together, a relative said. Miguel Luis Vasquez Jr., 33, hung out more with his kids and was going to a trucking school, according to his ex-wife, who asked that she and her children not be named for their safety. “Who knows if it’s his friend or if they know me?” she said. “I just don’t know who it was.” Authorities on Friday also asked for the public’s help. last_img

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. GARDEN CITY, N.Y. – Willie Hayes was a Vietnam veteran who proudly served his country, won several medals and earned himself a plot at a veterans’ cemetery upon his death two weeks ago. But there was one problem: As far as the U.S. government was concerned, it buried Willie Hayes nearly four years ago. An apparently homeless man who went by the name Willie Hayes and had the same Social Security number, military record and birthday was buried at the cemetery in 2003. The family of the recently deceased Hayes was stunned to find out about the apparent impostor, and cemetery officials are asking some perplexing questions. “If he didn’t serve in the Army, he shouldn’t be there,” Hayes’ brother, Sylvester, said. “It’s not fair to the veterans.” MYSTERY: A cemetery plot of a recently deceased veteran is occupied – by a man with his Social Security number. By Frank Eltman THE ASSOCIATED PRESS This much is certain: The Willie Hayes who died two weeks ago at 59 served in the Army in Vietnam, earned several medals and worked at a printing business. His family provided cemetery officials with overwhelming documentation of his military service and identity that show he is the rightful owner of a plot at Calverton National Cemetery. But virtually nothing is known about the other Willie Hayes. He was buried Christmas Eve 2003 in the Long Island cemetery, two months after dying in a Bronx nursing home. No one came forward to claim his body, and the nursing home staff thought he was homeless. A spokesman for the center did not return a call for comment. There appear to be no relatives to interview and precious few clues about his past. If it is determined that the man was an impostor, his body will probably have to be exhumed and put in a pauper’s grave in New York City. “I’ve got 200,000 people buried here, but I’ve never seen anything like this,” Calverton director Michael Picerno said. “Ninety-nine percent of the time, the family has all the information, all the documentation, so these things never happen.” Officials are exploring several scenarios in trying to solve the mystery. One is identity theft – the man who died in 2003 could have stolen Willie Hayes’ personal information and went to his grave as an impostor. Another is that the man in the grave was a veteran named Willie Hayes, but his Social Security number and personal information somehow got mixed up with those of the other Willie Hayes. No one knows what happened in the weeks after his death in 2003. But his file ended up including the other Willie Hayes’ personal information. He received a dignified ceremony befitting a Vietnam veteran – only no one was there to accept the American flag that draped his casket. That stands in stark contrast to the large contingent of relatives who mourned the other Willie Hayes recently. He was a dialysis patient and apparently died of a hemorrhage. While the sleuthing continues, the white granite tombstone for the man who died in 2003 has been removed; the grave site for the man who died in September is awaiting a tombstone. He was buried Oct. 5 in an altogether different part of the cemetery.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgNORTH HOLLYWOOD – A 15-year-old student from Ulysses S. Grant High School is accused of lighting two fires in trash bins at Madison Middle School, his former school, fire and school officials said this morning. The first fire occurred sometime between 1 and 6:30 p.m. in a trash can near the plant management office at the school in the 13000 block of Hart Street, said Los Angeles Unified School District Police Deputy Chief Nancy Ramirez. There were no witnesses, but apparently there was evidence of fresh tagging, Ramirez said. The second fire was reported later in a metal trash bin near the playing fields, Ramirez said. The two fires caused some $8,000 in damages. The student, who was not identified because he is a minor, is a former student at Madison, said Carey Steiner, a Los Angeles city Fire Department arson investigator. He was arrested without incident and was being held at the Sylmar Juvenile Hall on an arson charge, officials said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Several other juveniles were questioned in the case, but were not considered suspects, Ramirez said. Nobody was injured. For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_img1 You can listen to live La Liga commentary on talkSPORT 2. For details of how to retune your radio, click here.Villarreal warmed up for their Europa League clash against Liverpool by strugglling to a draw with Real Sociedad at home.The fourth placed team were hoping to tighten their grasp on Champions League qualification, but they failed to break down a strong La Real defence.Midfielder Bruno hit the woodwork for the hosts, while Sociedad goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli more than matched up to any chances he faced.Aritz Elustondo and David Zurutuza both had good chances for La Real, but neither side truly deserved to break the deadlock. Real Sociedad goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli put in an impressive display last_img read more

first_imgRay Wilkins is backing Jose Mourinho to be a huge success as Manchester United manager.Louis van Gaal is set to be sacked this week and Mourinho is understood to have already agreed a deal to succeed the Dutchman.Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal tells reporters after FA Cup victory: ‘It’s over’Mourinho has an outstanding record of success, with two Champions League successes to his name and titles won across Europe with Chelsea, Inter Milan, Porto and Real Madrid.His most recent spell at Chelsea ended under a cloud in December when he was sacked due to dressing room unrest.But Wilkins, a former United midfielder and Chelsea assistant boss, believes the 53-year-old will prove a perfect fit for United, telling talkSPORT: “I think it is the right move.“It is the only move for them. He will get them playing again and he will get them winning again.“He is a winner, there is no two ways about it.  When he goes to a club, normally he wins a big trophy within the first couple of years.”Manchester United have disrespected Louis van Gaal and should have copied City’s lead, says Ray Wilkinslast_img read more

first_imgJuventus and Chelsea are no longer in a two-way battle to sign Miralem Pjanic from Roma, claim reports in Italy.Instead Bayern Munich and Barcelona have now joined the race to land the midfielder, with both clubs prepared to stump up the £29m required to meet his release clause.Incoming Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is a big fan of Pjanic but is also eyeing a swoop for the Bosnian’s club team-mate Radja Nainggolan and Roma are unlikely to sell both players to the Blues.However, the Italian side are resigned to losing Pjanic this summer and, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, Juventus are still firm favourites to complete a deal.But that will not stop Bayern and Barca from making approaches for the 26-year-old, which will force Juventus to get a move on with Roma keen to sell by June 30 in order to avoid any financial fair play sanctions. Miralem Pjanic in action for Roma 1last_img read more

first_img1 England striker Wayne Rooney has hit back at claims from the Russian media that he is not the player he used to be.The 30-year-old, who is England’s all-time leading goalscorer, has played more of a midfield role this season for his club Manchester United.It was put to him by a Russian journalist in today’s press conference that Saturday’s opening Euro 2016 opponents no longer fear Rooney. But Rooney responded by saying: “Everyone who watches football is entitled to opinions.“I know the qualities I have and I don’t need to sit here and defend myself.“I’m aware that my game has changed slightly over the years and in my opinion it has changed for the better, but the opinions that matter to me are those of my coaches.”When asked what qualities he felt England needed for their tricky opener in Marseille, Rooney added in the press conference, televised by Sky Sports News: “I think resilience.“We know how important the first game is. It cost us two years ago (a 2-1 defeat to Italy in World Cup 2014) and in the first game it’s important to get off to a good start.“We’ve talked about that as a group of players and we are ready for the game tomorrow night.“You can feel the buzz around the place, everyone is excited for this game and it’s important we go in and take our performance levels into the game and get off to a good start.“We have a very talented squad that are capable of big things but tournament football is different so I think it’s a big challenge for us as a squad and we’re hoping and we believe we can do well.” Wayne Rooney is expected to start in midfield for England last_img read more

first_img Legia Warsaw won the 2015/16 Polish title! Any idea who won the Austrian league? Find out… – Legia Warsaw claimed the league and cup double, beating Lech Poznan in the cup final. Which club do you think were crowned Belgian champions? Click the arrow to find out! 16 16 PSV Eindhoven claimed the Dutch title in 2015/16. Click the arrow above to test your knowledge of the Portuguese champions… – PSV went into the final day of the season trailing Ajax on goal difference, with the Amsterdam club facing lowly De Graafschap in their last fixture. But Ajax slipped up, drawing their match, allowing PSV to snatch the title with a last day victory. 16 16 16 Which club won the Russian Premier League? Click the arrow to find out! 16 Red Bull Salzburg won the Austrian Bundesliga in 2015/16! Finally, can you guess which club won the Serbian Superliga? – Salzburg made it three titles in a row. Which club were crowned Dutch Eredivisie champions? Click the arrow above to find out! 16 Which Polish club do you think won the league in 2015/16? All will be revealed on the next picture… 16 16 Benfica won the 2015/16 Portuguese title! Click the arrow above to test your knowledge of the Russian Premier League… – At one point it looked like Sporting Lisbon would claim the league, but Benfica reeled off a remarkable 25 wins from 27 games to claim the title for a third year in succession – their first title hat-trick in four decades. 16 Which club won the Portuguese Primeira Liga? Click the arrow to find out! 16 Club Brugge won their first Pro League title since 2005! Think you know who won the Turkish league? Find out if you’re right, just click the arrow above – Club Brugge finished ahead of usual suspects Anderlecht in Belgium. CSKA Moscow claimed the Russian title in 2015/16! Click the arrow above to guess which club claimed the Belgian title… – The Moscow club won their third title in four seasons, finishing ahead of surprise challengers Rostov. 16 Besiktas won their first Turkish title in seven years! Do you know who won the Polish Ekstraklasa? Keep going to find out who did… – A month after opening their new stadium, Besiktas claimed the 14th title in their history, with Fenerbahche runners up, while reigning champions Galatasaray ended up way down in seventh. Which club marked 25 years since their finest hour by winning the Serbian title? 16 Which club do you think was crowned Austrian champions in 2015/16? Here comes the answer… 16 16 We all know who won the Italian, German, Spanish and French leagues.The usual suspects, Juventus (five in a row), Bayern (four in a row), Barcelona (six in eight) and Paris Saint-Germain (four in a row) cleaned up, respectively.Meanwhile, you’d need to have lived on Pluto to be unaware Leicester City won the Premier League.But do you know who won the less popular leagues around Europe?Have a go at our quiz, above, and you might just learn something! Which team do you think are Turkish champions? Find out by clicking the arrow above 16 Red Star Belgrade won the 2015/16 Serbian Premier League – A quarter of a century after winning the 1991 European Cup, Red Star claimed the Serbian title, wrestling it back from fierce rivals Partizan Belgrade. Red Star racked up an astonishing 24 consecutive victories en route to claiming their 27th domestic league title.last_img read more