Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Harps come back to win in Waterford Twitter Twitter FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Google+ By News Highland – January 15, 2019 The man who is set to replace John Campbell on Donegal County Council says as well as his own abilities, he will be bringing the experience of Thomas Pringle and John Campbell to his constituents.Seamus Maguire is set to be coopted onto the council next month, following the announcement last week that John Campbell was stepping down.He says the chance to serve as a councillor before May’s election will stand him in good stead…….Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/smaguire.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Pinterest AudioHomepage BannerNews Facebook Pinterest Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Previous articleWolverhampton win for Martin HarleyNext article27 people awaiting in-patient beds at LUH News Highland News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th WhatsApp WhatsApp Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Seamus Maguire looking forward to council co-option Facebook DL Debate – 24/05/21
Founder: Tomorrow TrustWhy is Kim a Community Builder?Kim Feinberg is passionate about empowering South Africa’s next generation, in every way she can.As the founder of Tomorrow Trust – an organisation that helps orphans and vulnerable children become self-sustainable through education – Kim is making a huge impact on the lives of thousands of children, many of whom are without any financial or emotional support.Kim believes that in order to help South African orphans and vulnerable children further their education through colleges and universities, they need financial, emotional and practical support – which is exactly what the trust aims to give them.In the end, Kim and her team hope that education will be the tool that releases these children from the charities they are forced to depend on.In her own words .“My hope and my dream for South Africa is that we all really see how special this country is, and how special our youth is, and if we all work together, we can create a country that is so wonderful to live in.”Fast FactsIt is estimated that by 2010, there will be approximately 25-million Aids orphans in the world.In 2007, South Africa achieved a 65% matric pass rate; matriculants in the Tomorrow Trust programme achieved an 82% pass rate.During the holidays, the children are bussed into the holiday school programmes where they are taught by private school teachers at private schools.In 2006, Tomorrow Trust started off with just over 200 students; today it has close to 1 000.How can I help?The trust is always looking for funding, volunteers, donations and more. To find out more, contact Tomorrow Trust or e-mail [email protected] published on SAinfo on 5 August 2008.Source: Brand South Africa
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest It looks as though farmers around Ohio may not be able to get back into the fields for some time after recent heavy rains and more precip in the forecast. In fact, it could be mid-May by the time some planters roll again. Roy Ulrich is a Technical Agronomist with DEKALB/Asgrow and he says that growers shouldn’t consider changing there population game plan just yet. He and the Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins also visit about how much better of a chance emerged corn has to survive the recent rains and if there will be enough seed to go around with a large number of replant situations possible from Ohio to Illinois.
A Sioux City man charged in a shooting earlier this month at the Hard Rock Casino has pleaded not guilty to the charges filed against him.25 year old Jaret Schnee is charged with nine counts including felony assault, willful injury, going armed with intent, aggravated domestic assault and intimidation with a weapon.Sioux City Police say Schnee was involved in a domestic disturbance with a woman employed by the casino.When a Hard Rock security guard came to the woman’s aid, Schnee allegedly shot the security guard in the leg.Schnee remains in custody at the Woodbury County Jail on $100,000 bond.
Prince Harry visited Nottingham last week to see the work of Full Effect and Coach Core, two projects supported by The Royal Foundation that work to improve opportunities for young people.Prince Harry visits Nottingham on to see the work of Full Effect and Coach CoreCredit/Copyright: Royal.UKThe Prince visited both programmes during a visit to the city in October 2016, and returned to see a new strand of Full Effect’s work, which provides support and mentoring to secondary school students. Prince Harry also attended the graduation ceremony of the cohort of Nottingham Coach Core apprentices, many of whom he met at the National Ice Centre during his last visit.Established in 2014, Full Effect has been supporting young people in the St Ann’s area of Nottingham through a combination of early intervention, mentoring and education. Over the last three years, Full Effect resilience workers and mentors have been providing a group of ‘at risk’ primary-aged children with intensive support both in school and through diversionary activities in the community.Prince Harry joined a music and sports session at Nottingham Academy, meeting a number of students benefiting from the Full Effect programme, and heard first-hand from staff about the positive impact it is having on the local school communities.His Royal Highness then travelled to the city centre to present Coach Core apprentices with their graduation certificates at a ceremony held at Nottingham Council House. Created by the Royal Foundation in 2012 as part of the Olympic Legacy programme, the Coach Core model – a year’s apprenticeship – trains 16–24 year olds who are not in education, employment or training to become professional sports coaches in their communities. In turn, the apprentices are able to motivate and inspire other young people through sport.Following the Coach Core graduation, Prince Harry watched extract performances from the Full Effect creative project ‘Look Sharp: The Barbershop’, along with other performances. Full Effect also engages and mentors older young people at the Community Recording Studio based at The Russell Youth Centre in St Ann’s, helping them to acquire work-relevant skills, experience and qualifications.Source:Royal.UK
APTN National NewsResource revenue sharing was a hot topic at the Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association’s annual conference this week in Saskatoon.With dropping oil prices and concerns Saskatchewan could soon be faced with a recession, urban municipalities wanted a guarantee the province wouldn’t alter or cut its revenue sharing agreement.While Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall wasn’t clear on whether municipalities will get those dollars, he was clear the money wouldn’t end up in the hands of First Nations.
CALGARY, A.B. – Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd. says the actual price the federal government will pay for its Trans Mountain pipeline system and expansion project will be hundreds of millions of dollars less than the $4.5 billion it announced in May.In a regulatory filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company says it estimates it will have to pay at least $325 million in capital gains taxes to the Canadian government when the deal is concluded.It says that reduces the “net price” to $4.175 billion. The filing is designed to advise Kinder Morgan Canada shareholders in advance of their vote on the transaction in August. Houston-based parent company Kinder Morgan, Inc. owns about two-thirds of the shares.The document also recounts the negotiations that led to the deal, including an initial offer by the company to give the government a five per cent equity stake in return for financial guarantees and Ottawa’s counter suggestion it could buy 51 per cent of the pipeline assets.The filing notes that once they decided on a 100 per cent sale, Kinder Morgan offered to sell for $6.5 billion and the government came back with a counter offer of $3.85 billion.An attached report from adviser TD Securities concludes that the deal as negotiated is fair for shareholders.
“This is a common-sense step forward that is, frankly, long overdue. We look forward to working with school districts and communities to make sure students get the access they need with no stigma and no barriers.”The ministerial order – takes effect immediately but allows districts until the end of 2019 to comply – comes with $300,000 in provincial startup funding. Over the coming months, the ministry will continue to work with school districts, community and education partners to look at the needs of each district, identify gaps and ensure they have the funding needed to meet this new requirement.The government shares they are also providing a one-time grant of $95,000 to support the United Way Period Promise Research Project, to fund menstrual products for up to 10 non-profit agencies and research into how best to provide services and products for people who menstruate.The United Way funding builds on the work government is doing to reduce poverty in British Columbia. In March 2019, the B.C. government released TogetherBC, the Province’s first Poverty Reduction Strategy. TogetherBC brings together investments from across government that will help reduce overall poverty in the province by 25 percent and cut child poverty in half, over the next five years.“The cost and availability of menstrual products is a real concern for those who are poor and often face the choice of purchasing those products or buying other essentials, like food,” said Shane Simpson, Minister of Social Development and Poverty Reduction. “I encourage other organizations to join our government in supporting the Period Promise campaign, to help end the stigma that causes social isolation, and begin to address that larger issue around affordability.”“Having your period is a part of life, and easy and affordable access to menstrual products should be simple,” said Mitzi Dean, Parliamentary Secretary for Gender Equity. “Menstrual products should be available to people when and where they need them, which is why we’re improving access in schools and in communities. These actions are going to make a big difference in the lives of people who menstruate, and I’m proud that our government is taking leadership on this issue.” BURNABY, B.C. – Friday, April 5th, 2019, under a ministerial order, all B.C. public schools will be required to provide free menstrual products for students in school washrooms by the end of 2019.Education Minister Rob Fleming said it’s time to normalize and equalize access to menstrual products in schools, helping to create a better learning environment for students.“Students should never have to miss school, extracurricular, sports or social activities because they can’t afford or don’t have access to menstrual products,” said Fleming, adding that current research indicates that one in seven students has missed school due to their periods because they cannot afford products. “This is a long-standing ‘hidden and unspoken’ problem for students who need menstrual products. There continues to be stigma surrounding this, which causes unnecessary anxiety and reduced confidence for students, including reduced attendance. We need to remove the barriers to access, eliminate the stigma and normalize the conversation for student well-being. We are encouraged by this action and fully support it. Today’s announcement is another example of the ministry listening and acting for the best interest of students.” Andrea Sinclair, president, B.C. Confederation of Parent Advisory CouncilsParticipate in the United Way Period Promise campaign: CLICK HERE
With No. 6 Purdue’s 67-65 loss to Iowa on Saturday, the No. 1 Ohio State men’s basketball team clinched the outright Big Ten title — but the team still has some unfinished business to attend to. When the Buckeyes traveled to Madison, Wis., on Feb. 12, freshman forward Jared Sullinger said via Twitter that Wisconsin fans spat on his face before and after the loss. On Sunday, the Badgers are taking a trip to Columbus for a rematch on the Buckeyes’ home court. Badger supporters have a reputation for unruly behavior towards opposing fans, said Tim Collins, a second-year in psychology and the director of the Nuthouse student section for Block “O.” “(The spitting incident) didn’t surprise me because it’s Wisconsin fans,” Collins told The Lantern. “But, then again, it does because you would like to think that it wouldn’t happen.” Collins was in attendance to watch the undefeated Buckeyes suffer their first loss of the season, and said that his experience in Wisconsin’s student section was enough to ensure he wouldn’t go back to the Kohl Center for another basketball game. “I think that from what I’ve heard and what I’ve seen, they have a history if you talk to any Big Ten school,” Collins said. “We got the ‘a–hole’ chant and people up in our faces swearing at us. … Not only do I not have any desire to go back there and deal with that, it just doesn’t surprise me that that’s how their students reacted.” Collins said Block “O” and the Nuthouse work to be “classy” in dealing with opposing fans. He said members have offered T-shirts to USC and Michigan fans sitting in the Buckeye student section for football games. Collins also said the Big Ten works with each school’s athletic program to attempt to ensure its fans’ behavior is appropriate. He said he has open communication with OSU’s athletic program during games to make sure the Nuthouse is acting accordingly. But don’t ask the OSU players if anything that happened off the court in Madison has affected them. The team has been mum on the spitting incident. “It’s another basketball game for me,” fifth-year senior forward David Lighty said. “I’m an old guy now. It’s like clockwork; it keeps going. “We’ve been through those things before. All that other stuff is behind us now.” Collins and the Nuthouse have been leading the “Gray Out the Schott” campaign, which asks all those who plan to attend the game Sunday to wear gray and avoid wearing red, Wisconsin’s primary color. In an e-mail sent to media outlets throughout the Columbus area, Collins mentioned that students would be receiving gray “Rah Rags” aimed to take a jab at Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan, and the statements he made following his team’s win against the Buckeyes. “We won the game,” Ryan said. “Deal with it.” In turn, the rags issued by Homage will say, “Deal with it.” Many Buckeye fans took offense to Ryan’s postgame words and that neither Wisconsin nor the Big Ten took action regarding the spitting allegations. OSU coach Thad Matta said the words didn’t bother him or his players, and that Ryan reached out to him following the game to clarify his statement. “Coach Ryan tried to call me on Monday morning (following the game). I didn’t know it was him,” Matta said. “Honestly, we’re probably making more out of that than it really was.” Per usual, Matta and his team are approaching Sunday’s game like any other, despite the conceived distractions from outside the program. Not even an emotional Senior Day can warrant a different attitude from OSU’s coach of seven years. “I’ve seen no changes, no different behaviors,” Matta said. “Nobody said anything about Senior Day. … They’ve been emotionless and stable.”
A video appeared on the Internet revealing flames leaping from the right wing of the airplane, which transported the Saudi Arabian team to their 2018 FIFA World Cup match to Rostov-on-Don for their match against Uruguay and brought reactions from fans and staff.Media reports suggested that there could have been a fire in the engine. But the Saudi Arabian Football Federation denied the reports of a fire incident. However, Alexey Sorokin, the CEO of the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee says the reaction to the incident with the airplane, was rather “hasty.”Scotland needs a hero: Billy Dodds Manuel R. Medina – September 10, 2019 According to former striker, Billy Dodds his country needs a hero to inspire future generations as the team’s hope to qualify to the EURO 2020 is small.“There were no problems with the transport, there was rather a hasty first reaction. Later we found out that the plane touched down with both engines and flew off the next day. If there had been any malfunctions, then it wouldn’t have flown back, that’s it,” Sorokin said via FourFourTwo.Saudi Arabia has been eliminated from the World Cup tournament following a defeat by Russia 5-0 in the opening match of the World Cup and a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Uruguay in Rostov-on-Don on Wednesday. Saudi Arabia will face Egypt in their final Group A match on Monday.